- Hi Michael, I had to leave right after the tour, and didn’t get to say that I really enjoyed the tour, including your vivid and engaging story telling. It was fascinating finding out so much about what was once right there on the streets I ride and walk through regularly.
- Hi Michael, thank-you for an informative and enjoyable tour yesterday. We all loved it!
Your knowledge of the area was very extensive and kept us captivated from start to finish. We will be sure to recommend your tour to our friends. Good luck with your book! Kind regards,
Sam & Nick (Melbourne, VIC). 19th February 2017
- Hi Michael, just wanted to say thanks again for the tour today! It was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. I've recommended the tour to all my friends, should they come to Melbourne.
Thank again, all the best!
- Hi Michael, Thank you for the fab tour of Fitzroy last Saturday. Your knowledge and stories of the era, were both intriguing and informative. You also conveyed clearly, the desperate actions that many were part of, possibly, simply to survive. They were grim times, and I found the police photos to be telling; so many seemed so young. Perhaps few options? Many thanks again,
Carol (North Melbourne). 11th November 2016
- Thank you for a very interesting and informative tour this afternoon. You certainly know your stuff. We all enjoyed it and can highly recommend everyone to take the tour.
- I recently undertook the Melbourne Historical Crime tour on a sunny breezy arvo in Fitzroy and was surprised by how emotive I found the experience. Michael is tremendous; an enthusiastic speaker whose depth of research and respect for his material is of the highest order. A real social history of urban geography. Definitely worth taking a tour to see a different perspective on familiar streets and catch ghosts lurking around the remnants of a bygone era. Thanks Michael Shelford.
- R and I had a great afternoon touring Fitzroy and learning about its seedy past - sly grog shops, brothels, dens of thieves and gang wars on every corner. Michael Shelford is a writer/historian and a total expert on Melbourne's underworld in the years 1890-1920. Despite the roguish good-looks of Alf Monar, he really was the worst of the worst, being a bludger which in those days meant pimp. That still left him time to beat up cops, steal stuff and head up a gang. Not such a dreamboat after all. I highly recommend the tours!
- Hi Michael, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your tour on Saturday the 3rd . I have always had an interest in that period of Melbourne particularly inner suburbs , your tour brought that alive for me . I try to read as many books , articles and listen to stories of that time and people and look forward to your book , could have sat chatting at the Workers on the topic for hours but had to scoot. Anyways, thank you again. Regards
- Michael great tour and booklet to go with it showing the faces behind the stories and was good to have a chat afterwards with someone else with the same passion, thanks,
- I recently took this tour, it was fantastic, well researched, well presented and lots of very interesting facts that I had no idea about in Melbourne.
- Such a fantastic tour today; so much information. I loved it. Thanks Michael.